What a shame that it has taken the death of a child to highlight this common and, all too often, fatal condition. Hopefully this spotlight will result in better recognition of it by doctors resulting in unnecessary deaths being avoided.
Melissa Mead, William's mother, said doctors told her "not to worry" and NHS 111 said "it's nothing serious" before her son's death. Speaking about sepsis, she said "hardly anyone knows what it is" and called for better awareness among GPs and parents. Twelve-month-old William, from Penryn, died on 14 December 2014. At that time, the cause of death was put down to natural causes, but a coroner's inquest in June 2015 found he had died from treatable blood poisoning - known as septicaemia - caused by a long-standing chest infection. Mrs Mead had taken him to the GP numerous times in the months leading up to his death.